Officers injured during Cessnock arrest
Two police officers have been treated for minor injuries after an alleged assault in Cessnock yesterday.
At about 6:05am on Friday police attempted to stop an unregistered motorcycle traveling along Cessnock Road at Aberdare.
Police will allege the rider of the motorcycle failed to stop and sped off, before crashing into the front of a police vehicle and fleeing the scene on foot.
The man was arrested after a foot pursuit, where he allegedly assaulted two police officers.
OC Spray was used during the arrest.
Two male senior constables received minor injuries to their upper bodies and were treated by NSW Ambulance Paramedics.
The 38-year-old male rider was taken to Maitland Hospital for treatment to pre-existing injuries before being taken to Cessnock Police Station.
He was then charged with 15 offences including:
– use unregistered registrable class A motor vehicle on road,
– drive uninsured vehicle,
– unlicensed for class,
– drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous,
– enter inclosed land not prescribed premises without lawful excuse,
– resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty (x3),
– use offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention (x2),
– assault police officer in execution of duty cause actual bodily harm (x2),
– deal with proceed of crime,
– take and drive conveyance without consent of owner and
– not stop vehicle when directed to do so
He was refused bail to appear in Cessnock Local Court next week.